04 May 2011

Caleb’s Crossing ~ Geraldine Brooks

* LIKE *

OK read ... but didn’t do it for me.
Historical novel set in early US

Have really loved some Geraldine Brooks. I have two of hers on my all-time-favourites list : “Year of Wonders” and “March”. And I have enjoyed the memoir she wrote of growing up in Sydney. I am not a fan of “People of the Book” and this goes in with that ... read it, forget it.

I did love the historical background to the story : It is set at Martha’s Vineyard and is about the first native american to go to Harvard. It is based of true fact and there is a lot of interesting detail revealed through the narrative. As always, her prose and vocabulary are wonderful

I think my main problem was the voice of Bertha, the narrator of the story. Didn’t work for me. I found the ending weak and the romance blah.